Conservation District History

           The Wyandotte County Conservation District was created, at the request of county citizens, on April 23, 1953. 

There are 105 Conservation Districts across the state of Kansas, one in each county.  Historically, the Districts have focused on the agriculture community; however, Districts are increasing the focus on the urban communities. A volunteer Board of Supervisors governs each Conservation District. Board members are elected at he District’s Annual meeting, held at the beginning of the year.           

Conservation District Services

           The District offer a number of services focused on conservation.  It offers financial assistance, via two cost-share programs, and education programs to area schools and organizations. 

Financial Assistance

           The District offers financial assistance to landowners in the form of two cost-share programs.  Typically, the programs fund up to 70% of the cost of the conservation practice. It is the landowner’s responsibility to fund the remaining 30% of the project. Sign-ups for the majority of the cost-share programs begin on July 1 of each year.  Due to limited funds, here is a designated sign-up period during the month of June for the On-Site Wastewater System Cost-Share Program.  At these times, landowners fill out an application for the program of interest. See a complete list of programs available.

           The Wyandotte County Board of Supervisors is guided by evaluation priority worksheets, and then reviews the applications.  The cost-share programs offered are:

           Water Resource Cost-Share Program

          Non-Point Source Cost-Share Program

The Water Resource Cost-Share Program (WRCSP) enables landowners to apply for cost-share funds for approved conservation practices to prevent soil and water erosion.  Some of the practices eligible include:

  • Permanent vegetative cover (grasses and trees)
  • Grassed waterways or outlets
  • Diversions
  • Water and sediment basins
  • Tree windbreaks and buffer zones
  • Underground tile outlet
  • Terraces
  • Streambank stabilization
  • Wetland development and enhancement
  • Riparian work 

The Non-Point Source (NPS) Cost Share Program enables landowners to apply for cost-share funds for Non-Point Pollution Control practices.  Currently, the District funds septic system upgrades, nutrient management (soil testing), and abandoned water-well plugging.

Education Programs

           The District offers education programs for schools, neighborhood associations, community groups, and any other organization interested in learning about conservation.  Each program is tailored to the needs of the requesting group[4].  Examples of educational program topics include:

  • Water quality monitoring
  • Soil erosion
  • Non-point source pollution
  • Stormwater management
  • Biomonitoring
  • Many others


The District also participates in long-term projects involving local schools, such as streambank stabilization projects and storm drain stenciling.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Rebate Programs

[2] Based on County Average costs

[3] The Wyandotte County Conservation District is not responsible for arrangements/quotes/contracts between landowners and contractors.  Landowners are encouraged to get a quote from contractors prior to beginning any construction.

[4] Lecture or hands-on style
ABOUT US
Wyandotte County Conservation District